As I sit down to write this, I have no idea where to begin. It seems pretty overwhelming to actually type this all out and explain it all. Not too sure where to begin...
About a year and a half ago, two of my good friends, Dusty and Darlene, set out on a trip around the world. They have developed a non-profit organized called Revolutionary Life. They are currently building up connections all around the world for their ministry, which is to preach the gospel to the lost. The way they travel is very different than most missionaries. They take it step by step, totally letting the Lord lead them. They have a general idea of where they are going to go, and then God changes it, and they follow. During their last trip, they managed to travel to a remote village in Laos and deliver the gospel to those that had never heard the name of Jesus. They traveled to 15 different countries.
They are gearing up for their next trip. It will tentatively be in August 2010. They have extended an invitation for Wesley and I to go. They have done so in such a way that I know without a doubt how much of an honor it would be to accompany them on their trip. They have not extended the invitation to many people, because it will be grueling and extremely difficult ministry at times. The next trip will last a year or more, with four main focuses: Ghana, India, Thailand, and Indonesia. However, they believe they will end up going to more places than just those four.
I have felt for the longest time that Wesley and I cannot do anything really big until we pay off our school debts. However, after meeting with Dusty and Darlene, I realize that the debt is actually stifling our ability to seek the Lord and His will. It has become this brick wall that I can't see past at all. But God doesn't want us to be defined by our debt, and He doesn't want us to feel we are stuck because of it. Dusty asked a simple question.
"If you didn't have that debt, what would you do? And would there be any other reason besides that debt to not go on this trip?"
I realized that debt was basically the only reason we wouldn't go. Or wouldn't do anything adventurous and daring.
And that's just not a good enough reason for me.
***
We are in the praying stages at this point. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the reason for me not being able to get pregnant is because there are other things God wants me to do first. I'm not sure.
Please pray for guidance in our decision. My feelings continue to be fickle. Two days ago, I felt for sure that this was what God had for us, to go on this trip. Today, I'm not so sure, and that scares me some, because I believe if this is something God wants us to do, it will stay consistent. Pray for clarity for us.
If we were to go on the trip, I would like to try to go for the full year. Dusty and Darlene said we were welcome to just come for a month or two, but I just don't believe in doing anything halfway ;)
If we do decide to go, we have so many needs that will need to be fulfilled in some way or another. We will definitely be saving money to go on the trip, but specific needs I know we will have to alleviate prior to departing:
-2 backpacks (this is all we will have with us. We will be essentially carry everything we own on our backs)
-At least 15-20 committed monthly contributors to our journey. The good thing about overseas travel is it's much cheaper than America (usually). For instance, just donating $20 a month would pay for several nights stays at a hostel.
-Money for our visas, shots, and the initial travel to Ghana
-Hiking shoes for both of us
-At least one pair of good hiking pants for each of us. Because, we will go several days without washing things and need durable, semi expensive pants.
-Various other things, such as bug spray, sunscreen, etc.
-At least 10 monthly pledges from people who will pray for us while we are gone.
-A place for our puggles to stay for as long as we are gone. This is probably one of the hardest things, because we love them like our own children and would be picky as to where they go. Also, they can't be separated, so finding someone who would suddenly take two new dogs would be difficult. Honestly, that is my first worry, above finances and danger, lol. I just love my puppies so much.
***
So that is currently what is going on in my life. I ask that you pray for us, that we would be able to see the Lord's direction in this decision. We would both have to leave our jobs (Wesley has been at UPS 5 years) and we are still not sure if UPS will offer him a leave of absence or not. I know my work won't, but it would be a little less scary to leave and know that at least one of us will have a job when we return to the states, lol.
Called to the Nations? Start Here.
5 months ago
God will show you what it is you're supposed to do...I believe that sometimes opportunities are opened for us, not necessarily because we will take them (although I do believe God is calling you to missions), but because He wants us to be obedient. The lesson here could be obedience, not necessarily becoming missionaries. That might mean just a month or two.
ReplyDeleteAs you already know, we are definitely interested in being prayer warriors and monthly contributors. I don't know that we could give more than about $20 a month, but we will do as much as we can. I really, really want you guys to be financially secure as missionaries.
I love the quote about debt...it does hinder us in so many ways. While I do think, as Christians, we need to strive not to live recklessly, buying extravagant items on credit that you can't afford, I definitely don't think student debt is an example of that. It's something that many...dare I say, MOST...people have to do if they want to get a college education. Even smart high-school students who made all A's and B's aren't guaranteed big scholarships to the universities they attend. I made all A's and B's in high school and got only a small (in my opinion) academic scholarship. My parents couldn't afford to cover the rest, so it had to be paid for in loans. Don't let student debt stand in the way of God's will for you. I truly believe it is not the same thing as the credit-card extravagance that some people have.
Continue to pray! You are still on my daily prayer list. =) Please keep us updated.
wow this is so exciting! bryan and i will be praying for y'all as you make this decision.
ReplyDeleteand i know what you mean about giving up your pets...bryan and i had to find "foster parents" for our kitties and it was Really tough, most people don't Want two extra pets. my parents ended up taking our kitties, maybe someone in your family would care for your doggies!