I have been two days in a row! I am so proud of myself. It usually only lasts an hour, but that is more than I was doing before...which was, oh, nothing.
I read on Erin's blog recently that when she struggles with going to the gym, she remembers that while she's never regretted going to the gym, she has regretted not going, which I thought was a lovely little thought. It definitely helped me today.
I don't really like gyms. I have several pet peeves.
1. The girls that come in to work out that wear next to nothing. It's like, must you really flaunt everything in such an inappropriate place? Are you even here to work out, or are you here to pick up a date?
2. The intense work-outers. I know they can't help it. And I know this is a peeve personal to myself, because it's really not their fault, nor are they doing anything wrong. It's the ones that run on the treadmill for 30 minutes straight. I mean, come on. Just go home, and stop making me feel bad while I'm wheezing after one minute of light jogging.
3. Getting on a treadmill next to a ridiculously fit person. I try to scan the area and get next to the least fit person, because then it doesn't make me feel as bad. But when most of the treadmills are taken up, and I have no choice but to be next to a cross country runner or girl in tiny gym shorts, ponytail bobbing...ugh.
But I have to look on the bright side...at least I'm not going to the gym at Union. Those strategically placed windows in front of the treadmills, for all to see. Pretty sure I stopped working out in there after three tries due to those windows. It was just plain wrong.
I did the bicycle for the first time today, and it got pretty difficult. My legs were incredibly wobbly when I got done, but I managed to bike 5 miles, which is great for my first try!
I also did some weights, abs, and leg exercises.
The downside: my eating wasn't very good today.
How do YOU get through cravings for bad things? I need help.
Called to the Nations? Start Here.
5 months ago
Okay, so I tried to comment a few minutes ago, but my browser messed up and I have to write it again (ugh...DON'T try Google Chrome...it sucks...I'm going back to Firefox).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, what I originally said was that I think eating slower helps you to eat less. You feel full faster when you eat slowly. Try playing some relaxing classical music to train yourself to eat slowly in the beginning, or cutting your food into lots of small pieces. Both of those things (music and small bites) will help with your digestion as well.
But I'm not a fitness expert obviously. These are just things I've observed. When I'm trying actively to lose weight, I usually try drinking a glass of water before I eat to fill me up before I even start on my meal.
Again, I know nothing. These are just a few thoughts.
And I know about those girls in the gym. I think I worked out like 3x in the Union gym as well, but I remember those ladies...it's like, why are you here? Your body is obviously in no need of repair... :P But I guess it requires upkeep? I don't know. I always felt insecure around such people as well.
In response to your comment on my blog...I can do all. ;)
ReplyDelete2 days in a row is awesome! the seminary has a dress-code, so i don't have to worry about any work-out-skankiness, thank goodness!
ReplyDeletei have major chocolate cravings all the time too...i Love junkfood. the thing that works best for me is to either replace the junkfood i love (chocolate!) with a healthy food that i love (grapefruit!). fruit can be expensive sometimes, but it really works for me--i love grapefruit a little much probably, but when i have one, it feels like an indulgence, so i don't want chocolate as bad.
but, every once in a while when that doesn't work, i let myself have just a little bit of whatever i'm craving. a halfcup of icecream isn't as bad as a half gallon. and if i want the halfgallon, usually i'm craving it for emotional reasons, not sweettooth reasons.